Friday, November 20, 2009

Chicken Nipples

Some of you may have noticed the new waterer hanging in the middle of the coop on the coop cam.  It's called the Avian Aqua Miser, and it provides water to the chicks via a small push-in nipple that the chicks peck at.

The animated gif on their website summarizes it pretty well:



The advantages of this type of watering system are many.  Unlike the open-trough style waterer I was using before, the chicks can't get wood shavings and poop in this waterer so their water stays clean. And that means that they stay healthier, and I don't have to change the water as often.  Further, because it's a closed watering system, the waterer can be removed, refilled, and replaced, with zero chance of spilling, and that means that the coop stays dry, and I don't have to clean it as often. 

It took the girls about 10 minutes to learn how to use it.  The trick was to get one of them to use it, and the rest followed suit.  The only one in the coop when I first installed it was Henrietta, so I held her head underneath and pressed up on the nipple so that the water dripped on her.  She figured out how to get the water pretty quickly, and, ten minutes later, the other girls came inside to see what was going on and joined right in.

The Avian Aqua Miser cost $30 (shipping included), but it's really just a dollar store plastic pitcher with a $2 nipple installed in the bottom.  If I could do it again, I would buy a nipple and pitcher and install it myself.

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. Haha, chicks on the internet! :D
    Innovative! :)

    Can we chat with them? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog while google-ing chicken nipples. I plan to make one for our backyard chickens. By the way, we have a Zoe and a Juliette as well, but she looks like Henrietta, not sure what variety she is, do you know?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive